Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Explosions!

Explosions aren't usually a part of every day life; unless of course you live on campus at NM Tech in Socorro, NM, or if you live in Soviet Russia, or in North Korea.  Now, I'm not entirely sure how to explain how an explosive works, mostly because I don't know how one works, entirely myself.  I do, however, have a link to a website explaining it's intricate and delicious secrets.
>>  http://www.explosives.org/index.php/component/content/article?id=71 <<

Now, just a spoiler alert, that link may or may not ruin the Hollywood special effects for you, because, in order to get a James Bond-sized explosion, you would need a significant amount of explosives, which is, I'm almost 100% positive, illegal to use and or have, even in a movie.  Though it would be interesting to actually know what causes the initial explosion IN an explosive, and how much I'd love to rant about it, I don't know all that much about explosives. 

Here is another link to another page on the same website, with a quick safety for "blasting caps."  Now, I feel like this page could be a bit more explanatory, and helpful.  And just to get it out of the way, because I hope I'm not the only one that thought this, but that stick of dynamite did NOT look like dynamite at first glance. . . just saying.  Also, I absolutely love how it says, "If you find a blasting cap, DON’T TOUCH! Call your local police or fire department immediately to report it. In unskilled hands, blasting caps are deadly." yet it doesn't even provide a picture.  So if you find one, unless you're up-to-date in your explosives lingo, I don't think any average person would even know what a blasting cap is.
>>> http://www.explosives.org/index.php/component/content/article?id=68  <<<

Fortunately enough, I found another link with a picture of a blasting cap. 
>> http://www.stresau.com/energetics/aboutmanufacturing.htm <<

Just to be fair, though, if I hadn't seen a picture of one, I probably would have picked it up in pure curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment