Saturday, March 3, 2012

Old and New Materials

Today I watched a rather interesting video on silk and the way in which scientists can reverse engineer silk and reuse it as several different types of items.  This video was titled, "Old and New Materials."  I found that it was very intriguing, especially because I had never heard of one single material able to be applied in so many different ways and still be biodegradable.  We've all seen the way that plastic can be used, and reused and applied in so many different ways as a substitute for metal, like on cars, or glass, like with cups, but they're not so friendly with the environment or our bodies.  This new way of using silk, however, is perfectly eco friendly and can be used completely safely in our bodies.  I don't know about you, but I thought this was pretty neat.  One of the things about it that especially caught my attention, was ability to use it to implant an l.e.d. tattoo.  Now, if that meant what I think that means (glow in the dark tattoos -...-), then there could be some serious applications for a very intriguing art form emerging.  I can just see it now; comicon, 2015, people showing up painted blue, with pointy ears and shiny new tattoos on their bodies, illuminating the room.  Ah, the satisfaction of having a nerdy point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment