Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book? What book...?

In my time being enrolled in Honors Chemistry, since nearly the start of the class, we have been assigned to read a book.  But not any specific book, nor could we just read any old book.  We had to read something based off of science or on the history of science.  I, personally, chose to read The Alchemy of Air.  Mostly because I knew someone that had taken this class before and that is what he had chosen to read, and I figured it would be an interesting read.  Unfortunately enough for me, since my mind is only really intrigued by the more fanatical and classical sides of literature, it easily became very hard for me to wrap my head around ever even getting to this book.  Having two honors courses and trig on top of all of that doesn't really help with the matter that it's hard for me to even pick it up in the first place. . .

I find it really rather drab, if you will, merely because there doesn't seem to be a true storyline behind it.  Just facts of things that had happened and what some guy had done behind his closed scientist doors in order to keep the world from starving and, better yet, fatten it up.  I hate to admit it, (especially because my teacher will be reading this, but) I have barely gotten through the first few chapters.  Like I said, it's hard for me to pick up, for me, almost entirely because of the fact that it isn't all that interesting.  Any spare time I used to devote to reading is now occupied by time devoted to keeping my arse out of the gutters of the grade books.

Hopefully in the upcoming spring break I will be able to make up for all that lost reading. . . To conclude this message;  I don't find The Alchemy of Air as interesting as I had once had hopes for it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment