Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Mole; In All It's Glory (or so I'm told)

If I am remembering correctly, I started this semester in January, on the third; on a Tuesday (had to look at a calendar for that one).  On that day, I came into my chemistry class, first thing in the morning, thinking, "Oh, joy, another science class that I am barely going to skim by to pass.  Who knows, maybe this class will prove to be something in my strong suite."  /me; chuckles.*   What a fool I was.

Just to get this out there, I don't really know why I'm in honors science classes, nor do I know how exactly I got there.  I probably should have been in regular classes to start with, which probably would have kept me from bombing them with such. . . vigor. 

In any aspect; to get to the main point of this blog: the mole.  The mole, from what I'm told, is no longer a pestilential mammal which waits for you outside your humble abode until you turn off the game without saving, and once you return, sweat perspiring ever so vigorously from your brow, pesters you relentlessly to spell his name correctly.  (Thank you for the chuckles, fans of Animal Crossing).  The mole is an enormous number used by scientists to calculate a specific number of molecules of an element in a compound or solution, etc. If I understand the mole concept correctly, calculating a number of moles is fairly simple, it's just the atomic number of an element in grams.  This is then used in a number of ways to determine how much of said element is produced by a reaction, how to calculate an empirical formula to find the molecular formula, and so on, and so on. . . It's a downer I have no idea how to use it find any of those things. . .


*=/me is the command used in Steam chats to indicate the action of a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment